Senior Power Electronics Engineer
Zunum Aero has an immediate opening for a highly experienced senior principal power electronics engineer for development of hybrid-electric powertrain for regional aircraft. Candidate must have at least 5 years of experience with power electronics, preferably in aviation, or with high-power mobile applications. Candidate should be knowledgeable in electric motor driven fans.
Zunum is an emerging leader in hybrid-electric propulsion for aircraft; this position is a unique opportunity to work with a small, dynamic team of dedicated engineers on the next generation of aircraft propulsion. Position is full time, and located in Kirkland, Washington or northern Illinois; compensation DOE.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the development of the Electrical Power Train of a fully integrated, electrically driven, low pressure, quiet ducted fan from initial design through final certification
- Lead trade studies for an electrical system architecture that is consistent with the company’s strategic roadmap
- Architect and oversee the sizing, design, development and integration of components and subsystem comprising the electrical power train
- Oversee the development of specifications of component and subsystems
- Evaluate and select components and subsystems suppliers
- Develop the engineering plan and work with Project Engineering for flawless execution
- Be the main presenter and advocate for the design and development in all program reviews (PDR, CDR, Qual Review, etc).
- Candidate is required to have detailed hands on experience in the design and development high frequency power converters with emphasis to high power high switching frequency AC/DC conversion.
- Detailed knowledge power switching device types and technologies knowledge such as silicon IGBT’s SiC MOSFETS and the decisions trades to select each.
- Trade power circuit topologies with particular emphasis on high efficiency multi-level inverter modules
- Detained magnetic design capability with emphasis on high efficiency low loss materials and topologies.
- Detailed knowledge of power dissipation calculations and device temperature rise.
- Knowledge of motor torque and speed control algorithms utilizing Field Oriented Control techniques
- Fluency with simulation tools (Matlab Simulink, Pspice, Simplorer or equivalent), power analyzers, timing analyzers, and advanced rapid prototyping tools such as dSpace and National Instruments LabView
- Strong technical writing, presenting, and team leadership skills
- M.S. or higher in electrical engineering with 5 years of relevant experience
- B.S. in electrical engineering or physics with 5 years of relevant experience
- Technical contributions to the field including patents and publications
To be considered for this position, please send a resume or CV to email@example.com with the position name in the subject line.