Lead Power Systems Design Engineer
Zunum Aero has an immediate opening for a highly experienced electric power systems engineer for development of hybrid-electric powertrain for regional aircraft. Candidate must have at least 15 years of experience with power systems, preferably in aviation, or with high-power mobile applications.
Zunum is an emerging leader in hybrid-electric propulsion for aircraft; this position is a unique opportunity to work with a small, dynamic team of dedicated engineers on the next generation of aircraft propulsion. Position is full time, and located in Kirkland, Washington or northern Illinois; compensation DOE.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the systems activities in the development of the hybrid powertrain of a fully integrated, electrically-driven quiet ducted fan from initial design through final certification
- Lead trade studies for an electrical system architecture that is consistent with the strategic roadmap
- Architect and oversee the design, development and integration of the powertrain system elements satisfying stability, safety, reliability and certification requirements
- Oversee and validate the development of system specifications and flow down derived requirements to component and subsystems
- Evaluate and select components and subsystems suppliers
- Develop the Validation and Verification (V&V) plan for the electrical powertrain and its components
- Develop the engineering plan and work with Project Engineering for flawless execution
- Be the main presenter and advocate for the electrical system design, development and certification in all program reviews (PDR, CDR, Qual Review, etc).
- Candidate is required to have proven record of experience in the design and development of high efficiency electrical powertrain.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of the design considerations related to the interaction of high voltage DC and high frequency power conversion equipment on common electrical networks.
- Experience with safety and reliability centered architectures in terms of redundancy, fault isolation and protection methods
- Experienced with architectures, components and algorithms related to power management and distribution systems
- Capable of defining internal vehicle power quality requirements that simultaneously comply with relevant industry power quality standards and specifications such as DO-160 and others.
- Trade power circuit topologies with particular emphasis on high efficiency multi-level inverter modules
- Detailed knowledge of power dissipation calculations and device temperature rise.
- Knowledge of motor torque and speed control algorithms.
- Fluency with systems simulation tools (Matlab Simulink, or equivalent), power analyzers, timing analyzers, and advanced rapid prototyping tools such as dSpace and National Instruments LabView
- Capable of defining and specifying test stands, 4 quadrant dynos and drive stands
- Strong technical writing, presenting, and team leadership skills
- M.S. or higher in electrical engineering with 10 years of relevant experience
- B.S. in electrical engineering or physics with 15 years of relevant experience
- Technical contributions to the field including patents and publications
To be considered for this position, please send a resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position name in the subject line.