Lead Electric Motor Design Engineer
Zunum Aero has an immediate opening for a highly experienced electric motor design engineer for development of hybrid-electric powertrain for regional aircraft. Candidate must have at least 15 years of experience with different types of high efficiency motors, preferably in aviation, or with high-power mobile applications.
Zunum is an emerging leader in hybrid-electric propulsion for aircraft; this position is a unique opportunity to work with a small, dynamic team of dedicated engineers on the next generation of aircraft propulsion. Position is full time, and located in Kirkland, Washington or northern Illinois; compensation DOE.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the development activities of an Electric Motor integrated with a power converter and a propulsor for an electrically driven quiet ducted fan from initial motor design through qualification and certification
- Lead trade studies for optimum motor topology for torque production and fan speed requirements
- Architect and oversee the sizing, design, development and integration of components and subsystem comprising the electrical power train
- Maintain a mechanically sound design including the rotor dynamics stability, power conversion effects on the bearing system and on the stator windings and insulation system
- Develop the motor cooling approach and oversee the implementation and testing
- Oversee the development of specifications of component and subsystems
- Evaluate and select components and subsystems suppliers
- Develop the engineering plan and work with Project Engineering for flawless execution
- Be the main presenter and advocate for the design and development in all program reviews (PDR, CDR, Qual Review, etc).
- Candidate is required to have detailed hands on experience in the design and development high efficiency 300-500 kW motors.
- Detailed knowledge of the electromagnetic design rules and limitations of Axial Flux, Radial Flux and Hallbach Permanent Magnet Motor technologies. Experience with high-speed machines.
- Trade motor architectures and topologies with particular emphasis on high-efficiency low-torque ripple motor applications
- Detained electromagnetic design capability with emphasis on high efficiency low loss materials and topologies.
- Detailed knowledge of power dissipation calculations and device temperature rise.
- Knowledge of motor torque and speed control algorithms utilizing Field Oriented Control techniques
- Fluency with simulation tools (Matlab Simulink, Pspice, Simplorer or equivalent), power analyzers, and advanced testing and development tools such as dSpace and National Instruments LabView
- Strong technical writing, presenting, and team leadership skills
- M.S. or higher in electrical engineering with 10 years of relevant experience
- B.S. in electrical engineering with 15 years of relevant experience
- Technical contributions to the field including patents and publications
To be considered for this position, please send a resume or CV to email@example.com with the position name in the subject line.